- The Center for Book Arts is pleased to continue the Scholarship for Advanced Studies in Book Arts. In 2015, the Center will award two to three scholarships to individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to the artistic endeavors of the book arts. The purpose of this program is to provide opportunities to emerging artists committed to developing careers in the book arts field, and to further the growth of this artistic profession. The award includes a cash stipend plus a materials budget and 24 hour access to the Center’s printing and binding facilities for a full year. Artists also receive a tuition waiver for courses throughout the year, planned in conjunction with the staff. Scholars will be required to complete an artist project by the end of the scholarship period, with an exhibition in our gallery space and public presentation the following autumn.
Artists are invited to submit applications by May 15, 2015. There is no fee to apply.Accepted Document Types: jpgApply Here »
- The Center for Book Arts invites applications for our Letterpress Publishing Seminar for Emerging Writers, which runs twice a year - in the spring and in the fall. The next session of this workshop will take place at the Center from May 6-10, Wednesday through Sunday, 10am-4pm. The seminar is tuition-free for participants and includes the cost of materials. Those selected must attend the entire five-day workshop.
Participants will hear lectures from various professionals in the field – printers, fine press publishers, book artists, and dealers, to get a practical overview of letterpress printing and small press publishing. They will learn the basics of letterpress printing, both traditional typesetting and options with new technology, by collaboratively printing a small edition of broadsides. This workshop is most suitable for those with little to no previous letterpress experience. Each seminar will be offered to a maximum of eight students. Writers from culturally diverse backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Applications will not be accepted from students enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs during the program year (September 2014-May 2015.)NOTE: Applicants must be 18 years or older
Application Deadline is April 6, 2015.Accepted Document Types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtfApply Here »
The Center for Book Arts is pleased to invite Artist Members to submit artworks produced post 2009 to be considered for the 2015 Artist Members Exhibition tentatively titled: /mit ðə detə/: Source Materials Visualized. The exhibition will be organized by Alexander Campos, Executive Director & Curator, The Center for Book Arts and Heidi Neilson, Artist and co-Founder of SP Weather Station.This exhibition will present artists' books and related works that are visual interpretations, extrapolations, and recontextualizations of research source materials such as data analysis, surveying, mapping, plotting, data mining, statistics, analytics, observations, schemes, etc. Focusing on artists' books and works that relate to the concept of book arts, the curators are equally interested in work that uses new media referring to the concept of books.Approximately twenty to thirty works will be chosen for display in the Center for Book Art’s auxiliary gallery space. Artist members of the Center for Book Arts are encouraged to submit works to be selected by the show’s curator, and the selections will be augmented by works by non-member artists to enhance the scope of the exhibition.
We encourage artists to submit more than one work to be reviewed. Artists are invited to submit as many works for review as they wish, up to 10 images in total. All images must be properly labeled and accompanied by an image list with name, title, year created, dimensions, medium/materials, and credited properly (authors, collector, etc.) Works that are multi-media and/or installation based are also welcomed.
Submissions can be made via online submission form (centerforbookarts.submittable.com/submit) or on CDs mailed to the Center. Please DO NOT send original artwork for consideration.
Calendar of Important Dates:
Deadline for receipt of entry forms and images: Friday, May 15, 2015
Notification of accepted entries: Friday, May 29, 2015
Accepted art due at The Center for Book Arts: Monday, June 29, 2015
Exhibition Opening: Wednesday, July 8, 2015
Exhibition closes: Saturday, September 19, 2015
Work returned: Friday September 25, 2015Accepted Document Types: jpg, gif, tiff, pngApply Here »
- All artists are welcome to apply for artist membership at The Center for Book Arts. One does not have to be a book artist to apply for artist membership, but must have created work related to the medium of book arts.
In addition to discounts on Center studio rental, classes, workshops, publications, and events, the Center provides Artists Members with special services and opportunities beyond the benefits of their membership category.
Special Artist Member Benefits include:
- A profile page on the Center's Online Artist Registry (www.centerforbookarts.org/artistmember), a resource devoted to artists working in the book format and related media and used by curators, researchers, collectors, writers, and other artists as a reference tool.
- Invitations to have work for sale represented by the Center at art and book fairs, such as the annual New York Art Book Fair, Codex International Book Fair, CUNY Chapfest Bookfair, and more.
- Opportunities to submit works to the Center's member exhibitions, and apply to show recent work in the Center's Featured Artist Project exhibition series.
- Chance to be featured on the Center's blog in our popular Artist Member Interviews series.
- Exclusive bimonthly e-newsletters featuring announcements, resources, calls for entries, and other opportunities of special interest to artists in the book arts field.
As an Artist Member, I give The Center for Book Arts the right to use or reproduce the images and information in my Artist Member Registry file in promoting me and my work, The Center for Book Arts, or the book arts in general, both in print and online at www.centerforbookarts.org.Accepted Document Types: pdf, jpg, gif, tiff, pngApply Here »