Application Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2022
Application Deadline: Sunday, February 20, 2022 by 11:59pm
Applicants Notified: March 2022
About the Fellowship
Center for Book Arts is seeking applicants for our 2022 Book Art Research Fellowship.
Researchers and scholars in art history, literature, book history, library science, or museum studies that are based in the US are invited to submit research proposals that draw upon CBA’s unique collections of materials related to book art.
CBA’s Permanent Collection consists of three parts:
- Fine Arts Collection of artists’ books, prints, and objects
- Reference Library focused on the practice, theory, and history of book arts
- CBA’s Archives containing records of original exhibitions presented at CBA and the history of CBA’s programmatic activities.
Taken as a whole, CBA’s collections serve as a historical record of book art as a creative medium and a framework for critical research into book art practice.
The individual(s) selected for the Fellowship will receive a modest stipend, be granted access to CBA’s collections, and are provided institutional support during the research process.
Fellows are expected to spend 2-3 weeks on-site at Center for Book Arts. Research periods can take place any time in the calendar year of 2022 outside of holidays and other planned closures.
At the culmination of the Fellowship, the selected individual(s) will present their research in a public talk. CBA will subsequently have the first right of refusal to publish their research in our Book Arts Review journal.
Submissions must be made through the application portal:
Applications must include:
- A resume or CV
- A 500 to 1000 word proposal outlining the research project including:
- How holdings from the Center for Book Arts relate to the project
- A short bibliography listing individual resources from the collection to be consulted
- A proposed timeline for residency at the Center for Book Arts
Please disregard the registration option.