Center for Book Arts seeks a currently enrolled or recently graduated student of library and information science, archival studies, history, art history, American studies, or comparable field for our Summer 2022 Archives Internship. Under the supervision of CBA’s Librarian, Gillian Lee, the Intern will participate in a grant-funded project to catalog archival materials at CBA in order to expand access to the collection.
- Assist with making container lists of unprocessed archival materials; if time allows, making folder and/or item lists
- Create a finding aid for a collection of materials donated by the Center’s founder, Richard Minsky
- Page/shelve archival materials for researchers
- Rehouse fragile materials, including photographs
Skills & Qualifications
- Interest in arts nonprofit archives’ and/or artist’s books/book arts
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge/experience of working with CollectiveAccess or other CMS software, or desire to learn CollectiveAccess
- Familiarity with Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS), or desire to gain experience describing archival materials according to DACS
- The Intern will work 16 hours/week during CBA’s office hours, Monday–Friday from 10am–6pm (preferably two full days or one full day and two half-days). Working on Saturday during business hours from 11am–5pm is also a possibility once training is complete.
- The Intern is expected to complete 150 hours of work
- While some remote work is possible, the majority of work will take place in-person on-site at CBA (28 W 27th St, 3rd Fl / New York, NY 10001)
- Stipend of $600 (does NOT include housing & transportation)
- Discount of 25% for CBA’s classes and bookshop
- Academic credit if possible, applications from MLIS students with an internship requirement are encouraged. Intern must arrange details for credit with the home academic institution.
- Position Posted: February 24, 2022
- Application Deadline: March 15, 2022
- Internship Start Date: June 5, 2022*
- Internship End Date: August 15, 2022*
*Start and end dates are flexible and can be adjusted in accordance with the Intern’s schedule and needs
- Please email a brief cover letter and CV to CBA Librarian, Gillian Lee, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please disregard the registration option.