Spring 2023 Library Internship
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP
Center for Book Arts seeks a Library Intern for Spring 2023.
Under the supervision of the Librarian, the intern will:
• Assist with cataloging artists’ books, zines, and book arts-related catalogs, books, and serials;
• Rehouse materials;
• Page and reshelve materials as needed;
• Do a special project as suits the interests of the Intern – this can involve library space design, reference/research assistance, digital preservation, physical preservation, subject-specific cataloging, or other projects
Skills and qualification requirements:
• Desire to learn, interest in, or knowledge of bookbinding methods and printmaking processes
• Ability to work independently
• Knowledge/experience of working with CollectiveAccess or other CMS software, or desire to learn CollectiveAccess
• Interest in arts nonprofit archives’ and/or artist’s books/book art
• Currently enrolled or recently graduated student of library and information science. As this internship is unpaid, it may be a good fit for MLIS candidates in need of an internship for course credit
• One to two days per week. Workday(s) can be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday
• 100-120 hours of work overall, depending on the Intern’s availability
• The internship will begin in late January and end in mid May 2023
• Please note that while some remote work is possible, the majority of this internship will take place in-person at Center for Book Arts
• This internship is unpaid
• Interns receive 25% off classes and our bookshop and can exchange volunteer/working hours for rental hours in our studio space
• The internship may qualify for academic credit if desired, and we encourage applications from MLIS students with an internship requirement. If taken for academic credit the student must arrange details with the home academic institution
• Interns are responsible for securing their own housing and transportation
To apply please email a brief cover letter and resume to Gillian Lee, Librarian, email@example.com, using the subject line Spring 2023 Library Internship.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until December 23, 2022.