Center for Book Arts seeks a Library Intern for summer and/or fall 2022.
• Assist with cataloging artists’ books, zines, and book arts-related catalogs, books, and serials.
• Rehouse materials
• Page and reshelve materials as needed
• Do a special project as suits the interests of the Intern – this can involve library space design, reference/research assistance, digital preservation, physical preservation, subject-specific cataloging, or other projects
Skills & Qualifications
• Currently enrolled or recently graduated student of library and information science. As this internship is unpaid, it may be a good fit for MLIS candidates in need of an internship for course credit.
• Interest in arts nonprofit archives’ and/or artist’s books/book arts
• Ability to identify print processes and/or bookbinding techniques a plus; desire to learn these a plus
• Ability to work independently
• Knowledge/experience of working with CollectiveAccess or other CMS software, or desire to learn CollectiveAccess
• One to two days per week
• 100-120 hours of work overall, depending on the Intern’s availability.
• Summer interns will start in early June and end in late August/early September
• Fall interns will start in late August and end in November.
• Please note that while some remote work is possible, the majority of this internship will take place in-person at Center for Book Arts.
• This internship is unpaid
• Interns receive 25% off classes and our bookshop and can exchange volunteer hours for studio time.
• The internship may qualify for academic credit if desired, and we encourage applications from MLIS students with an internship requirement. If taken for academic credit the student must arrange details with the home academic institution.
• Interns are responsible for securing their own housing and transportation.
To apply please email a brief cover letter and resume to Gillian Lee, Librarian, email@example.com. Please indicate the term for which you are applying (Summer or Fall).
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until May 5, 2022. We expect to notify candidates by May 20, 2022.
Please disregard the registration option.