SCHEDULE OF SUPERVISED HOURS:
Sunday Evenings, 5:30-8:30 pm (February-March 2019)
Thursday Mornings, 11-2pm (February-March2019)
(Closed on Holidays)
To sign up for studio rental or Supervised, call the Center at 212-481-0295. See the studio calendar for open hours.
ABOUT STUDIO RENTAL
Studio rental is available in our Printshop and Bindery for those qualified to use the equipment, which includes a 36″ guillotine paper cutter, a 3-ton Kensol hot stamping press, five Vandercook proof presses, a treadle platen press. We also have several hand platen presses from 5″ x 8″ and up, including a newspaper-sized Washington Hand Press, many cases of hand type, and all the usual equipment you expect to find in a letterpress printshop and hand bindery.
For those wishing to rent time in the Printshop, Letterpress I, or equivalent experience is required as well as a mandatory three-hour class, Printshop Renter Training. A renter may sign up for supervised printing until our Printshop stewards determine a student can move to unsupervised printing. For those wishing to rent time in the Bindery, Bookbinding I or equivalent experience is required.
Studio rental is $25 per hour ($15 for members). Monthly rates are available as well.
- A person who does NOT need supervision can rent while the Center is open (weekdays, 10am-6pm; Saturdays, 9am-5pm) ONLY if there is no class in progress. People can rent in the bindery if a class is in the printshop, or can rent the printshop if there is a class in the bindery.
- A person who needs supervision can rent during supervised hours.
- There is usually no rental after 4pm on days that have events scheduled (Fridays; Wednesdays in July-August) or on Sundays (when we are closed), however there might be a supervisor on Sunday evenings.
- To rent the printshop, you must have taken Letterpress I and the Renter Training Workshop, which includes instruction on using the guillotine. For your first time using the printshop, you must rent during supervised time. You can rent during unsupervised time after the steward signs off on your abilities.
- To rent the bindery, you must know how to use the board shears or hot stamping machines. Bookbinding I is recommended.
Please do not rent during classes or events, and respect the need for quiet at those times. When using our studios, respect our equipment, keep the equipment and space clean, and clean up after yourself!
Contact us for more information.