Book Art Research Fellowship
ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP
Center for Book Arts is seeking applicants for our 2023 Book Art Research Fellowship.
Researchers and scholars in art history, literature, book history, library science, or museum studies, conservation studies, or other relevant fields are invited to submit research proposals that draw upon CBA’s unique collections of materials related to book art. This year, priority will be given to applicants from the New York tri-state area.
CBA’s Permanent Collection consists of three parts:
- Fine Arts Collection of artists’ books, prints, and objects
- Reference Library focused on the practice, theory, and history of book arts
- CBA’s Archives containing records of original exhibitions presented at CBA and the history of CBA’s programmatic activities.
Taken as a whole, CBA’s collections serve as a historical record of book art as a creative medium and a framework for critical research into book art practice.
The individual(s) selected for the Fellowship will have access to CBA’s collections, provided institutional support during the research process, and receive a $1,200 stipend.
Fellows are expected to spend a total of 2-3 weeks conducting research on-site at Center for Book Arts. Research periods can take place any time in the calendar year of 2023 outside of holidays and other planned closures.
At the culmination of the Fellowship, the selected individual(s) will present their research in a public talk. CBA will subsequently have the first right of refusal to publish their research in our Book Art Review journal.
Thursday, January 12, 2023
February 26, 2023 by 11:59pm
Applications must include:
- A resume or CV
- A 500 to 1000 word proposal outlining the research project, including:
- How holdings from the Center for Book Arts relate to the project
- A short bibliography listing individual resources from the collection to be consulted
- A proposed timeline for residency at the Center for Book Arts