Opportunities → Curatorial Proposals
Center for Book Arts invites curators at all stages in their careers to submit exhibition proposals for CBA’s Central Gallery to be realized in 2025. We are seeking proposals that elaborate on, challenge, and contribute to the artistic, theoretical, historical, and contemporary aspects of book arts.
This opportunity is intended to provide the space and resources to support curators interested in developing exhibitions related to the book arts. Preference is given to proposals focussing on contemporary interpretations of the book as an art object, that challenge traditional notions of the book arts, or that build on the critical framework around the history of artist books. Exhibitions that feature a broad representation of artists and media, site-specific installations, and performances are encouraged.
We are especially interested in proposals for:
- Exhibitions that will further and/or challenge the discourse of book arts within a contemporary artistic criticism.
- Exhibitions that fill in gaps in the public’s understanding of the book arts by showing a wide range of artists.
- Focused exhibitions using the work of multiple artists to demonstrate a cohesive artistic trend or subject.
- Contact information of the curator/s
- Curator/s CV uploaded as a PDF
- A 1000-word exhibition proposal indicating the visual and conceptual vision of the exhibition and public programs.
- Proposed list of works with the title, year, medium and dimensions, with thumbnail images of items to be exhibited uploaded as a PDF.
- 5-10 images of works to be included. Images uploaded in jpg format and should be a minimum of 800px and maximum of 1200px in either direction.
We accept submissions on a rolling basis. The review process will take place each year in March. Applications can not be edited once submitted.
Questions can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Selected curatorial projects will receive:
- A budget of between $2000-$5000 (depending on funding)
- Publication of an exhibition catalog
- The support of CBA’s programs staff leading up to the opening of the exhibition
- Honoraria for presenters in 1-2 accompanying public programs
Support for Center for Book Arts’ Curatorial Program is provided, in part, by the National Endowment for the Arts, New York State Council on the Arts, with the support of Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, and by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.
The selected curatorial projects will be given access to the Center’s resources such as the archive and collection artworks, as well as administrative support during the curation process. In addition, the curator will be awarded a $3,000 honorarium; an honoraria budget to divide amongst program speakers; and a budget for production, including an exhibition catalog.