Please join us for our new series, “Book Talk,” a member-organized event where people within our community engage with a diverse group of artists, academics, and people in different areas to develop critical dialogue around books.
Hyland will be discussing the first chapter of Speaking Into the Air,by John Durham Peters. Peters proposes two models for communication: dialogue and dissemination. As makers of small-edition artist books, and/or as publishers, are these two models helpful in thinking about our audiences and distribution practices? What other models might be useful in conceptualizing how the work we do gets into readers/collectors’ hands?
MC Hyland is the founding editor of DoubleCross Press, a poetry micropress, and is finishing a PhD in English from NYU this May. She is the author of two full-length books of poems: THE END (out this spring from Sidebrow) and Neveragainland; and of a dozen poetry chapbooks/artist books, most recently Plane Fly At Night from above/ground press and the self-published Five Essays on the Lyric/The Laundry Poem with Anna Gurton-Wachter. From her research, she produces scholarly and poetic texts, artists’ books, and public art projects.
The Book Talk series is organized by artist member Roni Gross.
A Selection of Related Books from our Collections:
- The Acclimationization Society / Sarah Nicholls – FA.B107.1977
- The Weekly Transcript / Sarah Nicholls – FA.B94.1496
- Wipe the Slate / Sarah Nicholls – FA.B104.1621
- The Liquid Fault Line / Sarah Nicholls – FA.B109.1993
- T.Y.P.O.: the Typing Explosion Union Local 898’s Touch Typing Method for Typewriters / Sarah Paul Ocampo; Rachel LaRue Kessler; Sierra Nelson; Typing Explosion – FA.B8.0076
- Thirteen Love Poems and One Ugly One / Sarah Paul Ocampo; Rachel LaRue Kessler; Sierra Nelson;Typing Explosion – FA.B8.0075
- In Loving Memory of Lizzie / Ivan Monforte – FA.B45.0588
- Edible Host for Tony’s Toast / Angela Lorenz – FA.B95.1543
- Inter/dependence / Christine Wong Yap – : FA.B107.1929
- The clod magazine electric reader II / J. Hackson ; Elliot Smoke – FA.B111.2019
- American Manifesto / Todd M. Thyberg – FA.B105.1798
- Afrosurreal Manifesto : Black is the New Black : A 21st Century Manifesto / D. Scot Miller – FA.B98.1513
- Blind / Sophie Calle – FA.B106.1605
- Ghosts / Sophie Calle – FA.B104.1600
- Boustrophedon by Ricky Anderson et. al with Kitty Maryatt for Scripps College Press = FA.B79.1182
- Gourd Book with Asemic Writings / Donna Maria de Creeft – FA.SA3.1016
- Material Meditation on Mending Al-Mutanabbi Street / Scott McCarney – FA.B87.1321
- Twentysix Gasoline Stations / Michael Pichler – FA.B75.1145
- Burning Small Fires / Bruce Nauman – FA.B10.0118
- The Artist’s Reserved Rights Transfer and Sale Agreement / Seth Siegelaub, Bob Projansky – FA.B106.1617