This one-day, online workshop takes place on Zoom on Monday, December 19, from 6pm—8pm.
- Monday, December 19, 6 pm — 8 pm ET
Please Note: Registration for this workshop closes on Monday, December 12 at 11:59pm.
About the Workshop:
This online class at Center for Book Arts is taught by instructor Beth Sheehan.
Coptic stitch – one of the oldest and useful book structures – is a simple sewn book that is extremely flexible. Because of its ability to fold back onto itself, it is the perfect structure for sketchbooks, journals, and datebooks. By the end of this two-hour workshop, participants will each have their own soft-cover coptic book!
- Text pages, any number of signatures (text weight; I will be using 8.5×11 copy paper, 5 signatures with 6 pages per signature.)
- Cover paper, 2 sheets, same height as text pages but slightly longer (decorative paper any weight will work but text weight or thin cardstock is best. I will be using 2 sheets of 91# text weight Colorplan paper, 8.5”x17”)
- 4 curved needles
- Bookbinding thread
- Bookbinding awl
- Cutting tool (X-acto, Olfa knife, scalpel, etc.)
- Cutting mat
- Glue stick or double-stick tape
- Scrap paper
About Beth Sheehan
Elizabeth (Beth) Sheehan is a printmaker, papermaking, and book artist living in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Her work investigates ideas of memory and perception to explore her own lack of episodic memory. Her work has been exhibited internationally and is held in public collections including the Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Center for Book Arts, and the San Francisco Public Library. Sheehan has worked as a professional printer at Durham Press in Pennsylvania and at Harlan and Weaver in New York. She was also the Lead Binder and Bindery Manager at Small Editions in Brooklyn and teaches paper, print, and book workshops around the country.
All images courtesy of the instructor.
In order to best serve our community near and far, many of our online classes are pay-what-you-can. The amount you choose to pay goes directly toward our instructors and toward creating scholarship opportunities for the future. All workshops at CBA are subject to our cancellation policies.