Resources → Studio
The Studios at Center for Book Arts are available for artists to rent by the hour, week, or month. All Bindery and Printshop Equipment is included with your rental. Renters must provide their own materials, such as paper, boards and glue, although some items are available for purchase at CBA. Artists wishing to rent studio space must first take the Studio Rental Training Course.
During our supervised hours there will be a printshop or bindery steward present to offer basic assistance and to answer questions.
To check availability and reserve space in the studios please enter your name on the reservation sheet here or call ahead or email firstname.lastname@example.org
CBA is following the most up to date recommendations from New York State to reduce the risk of COVID-19 spread. Although restrictions have been lifted within NYC, we still have some guidelines in place:
- Please sign in and show proof of vaccination upon entering CBA.
- Please wear your mask to keep yourself and others safe.
- Wash hands or use sanitizer after entering CBA.
- For your own safety and the safety of others, unvaccinated individuals are not allowed on CBA premises for the time being.
- Please maintain a distance of 6 feet from others when possible.
- Read CBA’s full current COVID-19 Studio Protocols here.
Hours (Effective August 1, 2021)
Friday and Saturday 11-5pm
Stewarding Hours / Supervised Printing
Wednesday 11:00 – 2:00
Sunday 5:30 – 8:30 pm
call or email for weeknight availability
* Please see below for rental rates
- Board Shears
- Guillotine Cutter
- Several Book Presses
- Four Standing Backing Presses
- Several Lying Presses
- Sewing Frames
- Scharf Fix Leather Paring Machine
- 3 Quickprint Hot Stamping machines
- 2 Kensol Hot stamping Machines, up to 8×10″ chase
- A large selection of tooling and hot stamping forms
- Rounding Hammers
- Newsprint paper
- Five Vandercook Proofing Presses (Universal 1, Universal 3, Number 4, 219. 10-21)
- Two Chandler and Price Treadle Operated Platen Presses
- One table top proofing press
- Antique Washington Press
- A large selection of Lead Type Faces
- A selection of Wood Type Faces
- Metal and wooden furniture
- A variety of inks and modifiers
- Hand brayers
- Newsprint papers
- Aprons + rags
$400 a month for members / $500 a month for non-members. Includes keys, flat file or shelf, and 24/7 access to studios and equipment.
$125 a week for members / $150 for non-members.
Includes access to studios during business hours and open hours, or when a staff, steward or instructor is present; storage drawer or shelf for the week.
$15 an hour for members / $25 an hour for non-members.
Access to studios during business hours and supervised hours.
Storage Drawer or Shelf Rental:
$200 a month for members / $250 for non-members
Additional Storage Drawer: $100
Additional Shelf: $150
Please email email@example.com with questions about rentals or view our classes page to find out when the next Studio Rental Training will be held.