This class will take place on:
- Thurs, Apr 15 2:00–4:00pm ET
This movable book, with great content potential, springs to life when opened. We will use collage materials to cut our letters and backgrounds to enrich the designs to create our pages and bring them all together to bind this wonderful book.
There are a total of 12 spots open in this small-group workshop.
If you cannot comfortably pay tuition but are interested in taking this class, please consider filling out our financial assistance application here. We will notify you of your scholarship status before the start date of the class.
- Nine square sheets of text weight paper (cut to 5.5” x 5.5”- 2 light colors)
- 36 square sheets of multicolor papers (cut to 2.25 x 2.25 – text weight, complimenting the 9 sheets for book above)
- Covers: Cut 2 squares each 2 3/4 x 2 3/4 – cover weight paper – 65lb
- Self healing mat, 1/8” ribbon
- Small scissors, X-acto or snap-blade knife
- Metal ruler/triangle
- Double sided tape or glue stick
- Bone folder
- All sort of collage materials for letters – items you can repurpose such as paste paper, prints, magazines, handmade papers, maps, etc.
About the Instructor
Maria G. Pisano is a book artist, printmaker, curator and educator. Memory Press works are represented in The Library of Congress, 9-11 Memorial Museum, Carnegie Mellon University, Columbia University, Lafayette College, University of Delaware, Wesleyan University and many more. She has exhibited widely in solo – her most recents: titled Reflections: Artist Books and Works on Paper. Over the years she has curated a number exhibits, such as “Book as Witness: The Artist’s Response” at the Center for Book Arts in NYC and coming in 2021 Crossroads at the Hunterdon museum of Art. Ms. Pisano contributes to book arts publications and has presented lectures at the Library of Congress, College Book Arts Association and the Art Libraries Society of North America. Her article “Mark To Impress” was published in California Society of Printmakers 2018 Journal and 2019 in The Blue Notebook in the UK. She continuously gives workshops nationally and internationally, at her studio, libraries and institutions such as Bridwell Library, Dallas TX, Hand Bookbinders of California, and Center for Book Arts in NYC.
All images courtesy of the instructor.